Sunday, March 12, 2006

Beaten by a bamboo shell

If someone tells you that you have been beaten by bamboo shell (in Hokkian) over a certain purchase of goods. That means you have been unreasonably overcharged.

This is a story about my Dell Inspiron 710m purchase. The experience of my third time purchase as a returning customer.

On Mar 3, I logged on to Dell's online purchase portal in order to customize my new order with an additional 512 ram. When I supposed to reach the finishing line, I noticed that the offering section of "free upgrade to 80G HDD" within the customization page was not dedicated. I therefore could not make a check out for such order.

So I immediately phoned Dell and reported the above incident to a sale person called Stanley Ng who was attending my call. At first he was not believing my say but after his own trial error attempt, he lastly acknowledged with apology for the misapprehension of Dell's webpages.

He then helpfully provided me a fax quotation which is shown with a lump sum total price of RM4,464/-. I was quite busy at that time and inattentively confirmed the order.

Three days later, I received the goods in satisfactory condition. But one disappointment was that an invoice is not included in the package. It has been my intention to find out the item by item price so as to determine that I was buying the goods at the right price - the emotion that has all the while annoyed me since the purchase.

On the following day, I phoned up Stanley again to ask for a breakdown figure regarding to my purchase. Surprisingly he was unable to fulfill my request instantly over our phone conversation. He had therefore requested for an off-line moment to enable him to resource the calculation.

Before he could answer, I was thinking whether I am having the legal standing to return the goods under the Malaysian Trade Description Act, 1972? Also, would Dell, which is an international entity, give me a good answer?

Anyway, it is a good lessen for me to be attentive when making future purchase.

By the time I'd finished this writing, Stanley had called me to notify that Dell will refund me for the amount overcharged.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you change your notebook again!

I presume you change your notebook more often than you change your underwear.

Well, both Notebook and underwear are classified as "private" and not subject to share with other people.

I am not sure how your treat your notebook, for share or what,like your underwear.

Anyway, please let me know if you still have the old notebook in hand, probably I can do a little bit modification and turn it into 金魚池。

Picatho (百可度) said...

allenext,
I can't remember how many notebooks I have had purchased. But one thing for sure, it should be a hill of underwears if the money went to notebook were instead gone for underwears.
A lot of men do suffered the "7yr itch" but I'd suffered the "yearly itch" - a reputed tendency to be unfaithful after a year of using a notebook.
This time the itch came when my lau char bor has made a complaint uttered in "I also want one" after seeing that my previous notebook was given to my daughter (cos of her MBA study). That's why boo pian lah!
Anyway I think this should be my last notebook marriage as water tap (money faucet) is coming to close, hopefully.

lucia said...

wahh! every year spent about RM4000 or so for a new notebook! you orang kaya lah.

me wanna buy a new PDA (which cost less than RM2000) got no money to buy. pokai liao. :(

Picatho (百可度) said...

lucia, am very "kwai" now.