Monday, April 10, 2006

Revisit Penang Hill after 28 years


Since it's my wife's birthday today, I have just found myself wanting to make a plea for suggestions on where to take her for a meaningful outing. We have thought of going to a place of highland like Bukit Larut of Taiping, Gunong Jerai of Kedah, Betong of Gerik and Penang Hill. Finally we selected PH in order to see its latest sharp.

Penang Hill was always a special place, in the fall of 1970 it became my frequent destination for hiking from Botanical Garden.

I have such wonderful memories of my last time at Penang Hill sometime ago in 1978. It was a grace to spend full time at the hilltop while parenting our 3 kids with my wife. I loved the excitement of panoramic views over the Georgetown and the Channel.

When reaching at the foothill, I couldn't find a parking place amongst the 10 over available parking lots. To my surprise, it was unexpected that one of the symbolic tourist destinations of Penang, has only such a tiny parking area!

As seeing I was maneuvering around, a "cari makan" touter was suddenly presented himself to offer for a parking place. He then led us for several turns before entering into a nearby residential area to where I'd imagined in the first place should be a private car park.

But my imagination had eventually turned out to be another surprise as I was directed to park my car at the five-foot-way just in front of a residence and ultimately was asked for RM3. I paid in order not to displeasure her birthday sensation although I'd felt like being rifled to foray people's territory. It was indeed a bad experience.

I took a moment to look around at the hill entrance. Wow! It had completely changed to a new face by not seeing it for 28 years. At least I'd seen an establishment recognized as a special structure. I'd no word to articulate disparagingly about it.

On paying RM4 each for an adult, we were boarding the cable-car, yet another symbol of Penang. I reckoned that nothing was outstanding as compared generally to my last embarkation. It's still the same old day's flavor.

The only thing that had caused to my attention was the ventilation fans inside the cable-car. It could be classified as a stupid DIY job. Several tabletype ventilation fans (similar to the cheaper one that you could find at the Makro) were simply employed as the alternatives and getting screwed awfully at the ceiling. Yikes! an outstanding impression for tourists to remember PH's cable-car. Not a bad idea!

There was a happening of reconcilement during the cable-car journey - I'd reconciled myself to stand up by offering my seat to a foreign aunty, whereas many local chaps whom I found were loath to follow my example. The disgusted Penangists!

On reaching the destination - Penang Hill top, I was fast fascinated with disappointment. I discovered that it's still a place with not much difference since my last visit. It's still a "fishball" area where there are not many places to be rambled about. I'd sensationally talked to myself "was it suffered from any limitation for further development within this 28-years's time!"

With just a little while there, I suddenly realized that this journey was quickly closing to the end. We finally shared the common feeling as what I could hear my wife mumbled "Char chai (idyllically) we should go to Bukit Larut!"

Anyway, it is still regarded as a good tradeoff to spend just RM4 perhead for a cable-car drive. You won't find a similar drive cheaper than that elsewhere in the world. Pou chong (take good care of yourself) and goodbye Penang Hill!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in a way, i'm glad that penang hill hasn't change. leave it in it's idyllic natural setting. penang hill is a place for people to be amidst nature and cool air (hopefully) to be far away from the maddening crowd, for a good rest.

i hate it when people after going to penang hill will say "aiya. there's nothing to see one... or do". hello friend, penang hill is not a place for you to see something or do, like genting highland. it's a place for you to rext and relax amidst nature.

Picatho (百可度) said...

lucia, It shall be a good point if Penang Hill were furnished with more green parks and gardens.