Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cherishing memories

There're people having their own opinions or reasons to blog.

Few days ago, my wife had just nagged me, "Why are you blogging for nothing?" I simply countered her "Didn't you noticed that I'd lost my writing power on Chinese?

Frankly speaking, I've found myself these days tended to loss memory. But I'm not panicking at all as I'm very clear that I'm losing memory, not my mind. My cognitive function is still working enough for me to carry on blogging!

It's natural that you do indeed lose some slippage in memory as you grow older. But I believe that the natural decrease in memory function that may start at third age is not a sign of senility or of serious dementia like alzheimer's.

"In fact, people between the ages of 65 and 75 are actually better at certain kinds of memory than young adults," says Dr Adams-Price, associate professor of psychology and chairman of the interdisciplinary gerontology program at Mississipi. "Particularly in remembering to do things and keep appointments."

Feeding your head is the art of cherishing memories. If you keep reading and keep learning new skills, the ongoing stimulation of your cognitive functions can minimize memory loss. A pretty consistent line of research says that.

At first, I also thought of giving up blog writing or simply let it be fallen into 'coma' like what Lydia Teh's blog was suffering now. Because my mind just isn't on the ball all the time when writing a blog. Worst than I've to use a classic solution - "slow down," "pause for certain minutes to mentally form my intentions."

But after I've had balanced my learning time and ought-to-do-things time with pretty much respected to function. I've suddenly realized that anything that I can do to make myself pay more attention especially hobbies that require thinking - such as blogging, actually helps to cherish my rusty memories.

Oh yes, besides this and Ginkgo, there is compelling evidence that a habit of exercise can also helps to control memory loss!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell you what, make love, make more love and more love will improve your memory.

You will feel younger after love making.

Lydia Teh said...

kk, what about mahjong? My in-laws like to play it, I think it helps them keep mentally alert.

Picatho (百可度) said...

Hah allenext, it's a good idea but what if this act had driven overboard! Gonna me to demand roses from the market!

Lydia, oh yes mahjong does spin our mind. Frankly I was a mahjong king before, I could just detect a card by thumb's feels and having a good sense of who's who is holding what other cards was my wining point. Since then no one relative would like to play with me again!